Tuesday, May 13, 2014


My painting process by Aida Garrity


Some people have asked me how do I start my painting process. I could talk for weeks on everything that should be consider but I will try to summarize it as follows:

1. I do not quickly set up and start a painting. I normally walk around the area or the model to see how I can find something that is really interesting to me. For example: a better view of the subject, a color contrast, etc. By taking my time during this step, I establish my statement in the painting and this means "finding a meaning and a reason for painting the scene or specific angle of the model."
Thumbnails of different compositions

2. My second step is the composition. In order to select the best composition, I create a series of thumbnail studies. These are very small free hand sketches that can vary in size from 1 1/2" x 1" to 5 1/2" x 4". I use the small thumbnail sizes when I am working on Plein air paintings. Large thumbnails are reserved for studio paintings. I also use thumbnails to evaluate the color scheme that I plan to use in the paintings. As an example, I evaluate different background colors.

These two steps for me are crucial because I need to have a definite idea of where I am going with a painting. It is very simple, in order to get somewhere...you need to know the directions or you may get lost and get nowhere.

In my next blog I will continue to describe the remaining steps of my process. In the meantime, take a look at the examples that I added to this post related to the thumbnails.

Till then! Have  a happy painting!
 

1 comment:

  1. Great post! But when are you going to post another blog? Would love to hear what you're working on next!

    ReplyDelete